Apr 11, 2011

I hear Lubbock is nice in June

So my 3 weekends of back to back to back events are over. It was actually pretty successful and means my training is working. Thank goodness! Because I don't have a coach, I've been trying to research and create a training plan on my own that works around my schedule. The miles have been building up and up and I think I've got a solid base for the next step. I've got Sunday, October 23rd circled on my calendar as my A-race this year (Ironman 70.3 Austin) and want to do well. I'm shooting for a sub 5:30 and know that if I can improve my cycling, I'll be able to get there.

October is a long way away. A little too long for my taste. So today I signed up for Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake.

Buffalo Springs Lake is supposedly one of the harder 70.3 events with tough climbs on the bike and run, but it'll be my first one, so I won't know any better :D

I'm going to use it as a "practice" 70.3 race with the goal of understanding the difference between an endurance event and an Endurance event. For me, the gap between a sprint tri and an olympic tri isn't really that much from a time perspective. It's about 90 minutes. But the gap between an olympic triathlon and half IM is going to be at least 3 hours. That's a lot more biking and running in usually warmer temperatures, not to mention how much more important proper nutrition training will be.

All that being said, even though I'm treating this race like a "practice" run for my A-race, in 10 weeks I'm going to be a real half Ironman. And that makes it worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment