Apr 10, 2011

Big D 1/2 Marathon Race Recap

For as big as Dallas is, there wasn't a lot of pomp and circumstance to the Big D Marathon this past weekend.

While I'm sure it boosted sales, the packet pickups at Run On store locations didn't create the "event" vibe I've come to expect from pre-race expos. In fact, compared to the Rock N Roll Dallas 1/2 marathon expo at the Dallas Convention Center 2 weeks ago with row after row of exhibitors and a circus/Atlantic City boardwalk Brooks Running experience, I felt completely un-pumped up.

The full and half marathons started together at 8am, with the temperature above 70F, humidity above 90%, and a mass start. Kill me now. Actually, it's kind of fun playing Frogger amongst the fast runners, slow walkers, and in betweeners all squashed together going through the maze that is Fair Park. Just don't trip, because I'm pretty sure people will just keep running over you like it's Black Friday and Walmart is selling toasters for $3.99.

By mile 2 I was dripping with sweat. The humidity was unrelenting and I pushed aside my plans to officially match my 1:45 PR I got at RnR Dallas. My heart rate was up about 10bpm more than usual and I wasn't sure how long I'd be able to hang onto an 8:30 pace. I answered my own question 1:50 later when I crossed the finish line.

I've only done 3 Dallas runs (White Rock Marathon, RnR Dallas, and this one), and while I'm a little tired of finishing a race at Fair Park, this one made up for the lack of expo by having a quarter mile finish chute. It's so fun seeing everyone yelling and cheering and totally motivating when you're tired and just want the run to be over. My favorite sign: Go, Complete Stranger, Go!

Click to enlarge
I didn't match my 1:45 PR, but, given the tough conditions of today, finishing 19th out of 128 in my age group is still something to be proud of. A year ago I probably wouldn't have been able to run the whole thing, succumbing to the heat and humidity and unexpected rolling hills. It's always self-motivating to see results when you don't expect them and I'm loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment