Jul 18, 2010

My first triathlon

Today I crossed the first of many triathlon finish lines on my way to Hawaii. It took me 2 hours, 43 minutes, and 16.1 seconds to complete my first Olympic distance (heck, my first ANY distance) triathlon. No tears. No agony. No bloodshed. It wasn't completely uneventful though, but I'll get to that in a bit.

I had never set up my transition before, so at 6am on the morning of race day, I looked around at the other 1100 racers and just copied what looked like a good idea. Here's more or less how it ended up, except for the swim caps...

At a relatively hefty 208 lbs, I registered in the Clydesdales division (Men 200+ lbs)instead of the 30-34 age group, so I started in wave 9. I never thought my bald head would need a swim cap, but red never looked so good on my shiny dome. Walking down to the Olympic swim start I chatted up a couple of others who were also racing for the first time. Apparently my 3 ocean swim practices made me an expert compared to them, and actually helped to relieve some of the anxiety I was feeling pre-race.

The water was about 60 degrees and was cold enough to make you want to evaluate your commitment to this whole triathlon thing. The first time I ducked under a wave, I swear my breath came out as ice cubes. Luckily I finished the 1 mile rectangular swim course and clawed my way up the beach in 31 minutes and 47 seconds. The warm sand was a welcome relief from the frigid liquid tundra, and I immediately started stripping off my wetsuit.

Apparently I set up my transition area ok, because I didnt have any issues getting down to my trisuit and putting on socks and bike shoes. Looking around, I noticed the other guys in my division were starting to come in. I had a lead! I threw my helmet on, shoved a Clif Bar in mouth, grabbed my bike and ran for the start of the bike course. 2 minutes, 52 seconds for T1. Not bad for a first timer.

In what felt like a bad joke, within 10 feet of the bike mount line, I got a flat in my front tire. Nooooooooooo! This is where I tell you that I've only changed a flat once before, and never under the pressure of a race scenario. Fortunately I had a spare tube for such an occasion. As what seemed like a river of racers rode by me, I pulled out the old tube, inserted the new tube, and now to inflate. Wait, how do I use this CO2 cartridge? I got it because I thought I'd need it someday, but I never saw how to use it. Whoops. There's gotta be a button somewhere to release the air. Where is it!?!?!? Turns out you twist it. The huge cloud of C02 in my face taught me that. Lesson learned. Inflated the tube with what was left, got on the bike, and raced off. 6 minutes for the pit stop. I need to hire a better crew chief.

The bike course was a relatively flat 2 loop course with a small hill and a bridge. I took a huge gulp of my Nuun Tri-Berry flavored electrolyte-laden water, dropped into the aero position and started picking off the slow riders in front of me. Man, that's a good feeling. Besides, I had time to make up for. Eventually I ended in a group that I couldn't shake and hung with for the rest of the ride. I would pass them on the uphills and they would pass me on the straight sections. Maybe the 75psi in my tube was holding me back. I don't know, but I wasn't happy about it. 1 hour, 15 minutes, 25 seconds on the 24 mile course including 6 minutes for the tire change. This should improve next time.

T2 was quick and dirty. Hang the bike, drop the helmet, add the hat, kick of the shoes, slide into new ones, grab a Clif Bar, and go. I only mustered a smile to the guys around me. 1 minute, 33 seconds.

My legs at the start of the run didn't feel as bad as I expected. I had done one brick workout before this where you run after riding to practice for this exact moment. I quickly settled into a 7:30 pace (which is fast for me considering I've been a 9:00 guy for the past year) but my heart rate was up too high before the 5k point and I couldn't maintain. I was in a good state of mind for the victory lap (aka lap #2 on the run course). I would catch up with a couple guys from earlier waves, chat for a second, then move up to the next group. It helped take my mind off the fact that I had never ran 6 miles at this pace and kept me from walking. The Hammer Gel I took at the halfway point was a big factor too!

200 yards from the finish line I picked out a couple runners up ahead and made it my goal to beat them to the end. I caught up with one about 50 yards out and finished just behind the other who had a great final kick. 51 minutes, 37 seconds. Hey look, a new personal best! Woo hoo! The cross training has definitely paid off for me. Awesome!

All said and done, my finish time of 2:43:16.1 was well under my goal of 3 hours, placed me 203rd overall out of 1100 competitors, and I even finished 2nd in the Clydesdale division. I missed out on my haystack podium photo op because I left before the awards were announced, but got a great Strawberry Fields Triathlon white ribbon medal in the mail.

The experience of racing for my first time has taught me a couple things:
1) The run is still my weakest event
2) My bike maintenance knowledge needs immediate improvement
3) The port-o-john at a multisport event smells equally as bad as at a single sport event. The multiple sports don't make it better or worse.

Next race is in October, and I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment