Jul 13, 2010

Bars and Gels vs Liquid Sports Drinks

Energy gels were gross. There was a time when I first started running that I thought a GU packet was just mass produced snot. I hated them, and they hated me because I hated them. But I had bought a box of 12 and am not one to let things go to waste. By the end of the box, I was hooked. Not just on the taste of snot, but on the great energy boost that seemingly flowed through my body each time I downed one.

With such a need for on the go refueling, I wouldn't be surprised if most runners consider energy gels a 5th food group. Personally, I'm a big fan of Hammer Gel and Clif Shot Bloks and never leave for a ride or a run without them.

I read an article in the New York Times today discussing sports bars and gels and their effectiveness compared to liquid sports drinks. It got kind of technical, so if you want to read it, click here. Spoiler alert: gels are as effective* as the liquids.

One side note I was able to pick out, however, was the warning to be wary of products that contain only fructose, because on its own, it can cause gastrointestinal distress. As if dudes need a reason to have more gas...

For shits and giggles, here's a great chart from excelsports.com on some bars and gels and their nutritional contents:

No comments:

Post a Comment